Thread: How to copy files from your Windows computer to your Pocket PC

Post How to copy files from your Windows computer to your Pocket PC

This how-to describes how to copy files from your Windows® computer to the "\My Documents\iSilo" directory of your Pocket PC device.

If the "Pocket_PC My Documents" directory does not exist on your Windows® PC desktop, then you need to enable ActiveSync®'s File synchronization option. Do this:
    1. On your Windows® PC, start ActiveSync® by double-clicking the ActiveSync® icon in the icon tray in the lower right of the task bar.
    2. In the Tools menu, click Options.
    3. Check the Files - Synchronized Files icon.
    4. Click OK.
    The "Pocket_PC My Documents" directory should then be created on your desktop. You can then open the directory, create the "iSilo" directory within it, and then copy your documents to that directory.

Question I don't see the directory on my desktop

I followed the above steps, but I don't see the directory on my desktop. What went wrong?

Arrow Could be one or more reasons

There could be one or more reasons why the "Pocket_PC My Documents" directory may not appear on your desktop after you follow the instructions.

If your device was not actively connected for synchronization to your computer, then when you follow the above steps given, the folder does not initially appear. In this case, connect your device and the folder should then appear shortly after the synchronization completes.

The "Pocket_PC My Documents" directory on the desktop is actually a shortcut to some physical location on your hard drive and ActiveSync® only creates the shortcut the first time you enable File synchronization. So if at some point in the past you had enabled File synchronization, subsequently disabled it, and then deleted the shortcut from your desktop, ActiveSync® does not re-create the shortcut if you then re-anble File synchronization. In this case, you can determine the exact physical directory on your hard drive where files are synchronized by following these steps:
    1. On your Windows® PC, start ActiveSync® by double-clicking the ActiveSync® icon in the icon tray in the lower right of the task bar.
    2. In the Tools menu, click Options.
    3. Select the Files - Synchronized Files line so that it becomes highlighted.
    4. Click Settings.
    5. Look in the field under the text "On this computer, synchronize the files in this folder:". The field gives the path to the directory where files from your device's "\My Documents" directory are synchronized.
    6. Click OK or Cancel to dismiss the dialog.
    After determining the directory where files are synchronized, which is probably something like "C:\My Documents\Pocket_PC My Documents\" or "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\Pocket_PC My Documents\", go to that directory and create the "iSilo" sub-directory, where you can then copy your documents.

Arrow Another way

Here is another way to copy files from your Windows computer to your Pocket PC device.
    1. Connect your device to your Windows® PC and allow the ActiveSync® synchronization process to complete.
    2. On your Windows® PC, open the ActiveSync® window by double-clicking the ActiveSync® icon in the icon tray in the lower right of the task bar.
    3. In the ActiveSync® window's tool bar, click the Explore button.
    4. In the new explorer window, double-click My Pocket PC.
    5. You can then navigate to any directory including those on storage cards and copy your files.