Thread: iPhone search document

Exclamation iPhone search document

Hi,

Why is it not possible to search for a word in a .doc or a .pdf file?

I can only search for a word in a .pdb file..

Do i have to convert my pdf's to pdb or something? I have a lot of pdf's that i need to be able to search for specefic words..

tnx.

Arrow No search capabilities

The iPhone OS does not provide search capabilities for PDF or Word document files. iSilo utilizies the built-in PDF/Word document viewing capabilities of the iPhone OS to display such files and as such only provides basic viewing support. Adding additional capabilities such as searching would require a monumental effort.

So the only current means of searching the content of such files would be to convert them to iSilo format. However, the tradeoff is that the resulting viewable results would most likely not be acceptable compared to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by iSilo View Post
    The iPhone OS does not provide search capabilities for PDF or Word document files. iSilo utilizies the built-in PDF/Word document viewing capabilities of the iPhone OS to display such files and as such only provides basic viewing support. Adding additional capabilities such as searching would require a monumental effort.

So the only current means of searching the content of such files would be to convert them to iSilo format. However, the tradeoff is that the resulting viewable results would most likely not be acceptable compared to the original.
    Would the converting result in loosing just normal text from a plane simple pdf file?

Where can i find a converter that converts pdf to iSilo format?

Arrow PDF to html converter

Most likely you will loose layout and formatting when converting but it really depends on how the PDF is structured and the capabilities of the converter.

There is no converter for converting directly from PDF to iSilo format. You would need to convert from PDF to plain text or HTML and then convert that to iSilo format.

Unfortunately we do not have any specific recommendations. You can google for "PDF to html converter" and try a few of what you find.