Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iSiloX and wol.jw.org

Question iSiloX and wol.jw.org

Folks,

First let me say how much I and other Jehovah's Witnesses appreciate the adding of unlocked ePub as a source format for use in iSiloX. It has allowed many using older devices to take advantage of the ePubs of our books and magazines now available on http://www.jw.org , our official website.

Are you are aware many Jehovah's Witnesses have purchased iSilo over the years on a number of platforms in order to use the iSilo formatted WtPubs files.

These are a set of files produced yearly based on the content of the official Watchtower Library for Windows. While the cd-rom was available in over 30 languages, (now over 40), WtPub was only created in a small number of languages. At its height around 12 languages.

About a year ago Jehovah's Witnesses using one of it's corporate entities, The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, launched a new version of The Watchtower Library, entirely web-based at www.wol.jw.org

While not as complete as the CD-ROM edition, it was at it's start last June, available in 39 languages. Today it is available in 97 languages.
    http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/sysl/r1/lp-...l/pref/r1/lp-e

Many iSilo users have tried to figure out how to get iSiloX to work with wol.jw.org

Frankly I am not sure if we are not configuring iSiloX correctly, or not allowing it enough time to work, or if the structure of wol.jw.org is not compatible with the expectations of iSiloX for a website.

I would like to encourage you to browse the wol.jw.org site. If it is that we are not configuring it correctly or not allowing it enough time to work, a post somewhere would be most useful. If however it is not compatible with the expectations of iSiloX for a website, perhaps it is possible that iSiloX could be updated to work with wol.jw.org

This is doable since at least one iPhone app, Equipd, is available that does nothing except download material off www.wol.jw.org for later offline use.

http://equipd.me/
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/equipd/id508348981?mt=8

Equipd is however only useful on the iOS platform. One of the best things about iSilo has always been the number of devices you support.

While you have not in the past charged for iSiloX if the changes needed to work with wol.jw.org are going to consume a lot of your time, you might consider offering a wol.jw.org compatible version as a paid for product. You could fund development by taking pre-orders and make it clear that if enough pre-orders are not received you will not be able to undertake the project.

Thus you would have two versions of iSiloX available, the standard one, still free, and a paid one that would work with wol.jw.org

Thank you.
    Last edited by patrickwest; 06-20-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typos
    Patrick West
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    fpwest at gmail dot com
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/t-tools/>

Default I Would Pay-

I bought iSilo 4.15 in 2004, and again in 2012, updating to v6.04/iSiloX. I use it often.

I would gladly pay for a version of iSiloX that was compatible with wol.jw.org.
    LnrB

Default Paid app

Ditto! This would be a very good idea. Would love to see it come to fruition.

Default iSiloX and wol.jw.org

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwest View Post
    Folks,

First let me say how much I and other Jehovah's Witnesses appreciate the adding of unlocked ePub as a source format for use in iSiloX. It has allowed many using older devices to take advantage of the ePubs of our books and magazines now available on http://www.jw.org , our official website.

[...]
    I would like to encourage you to browse the wol.jw.org site. If it is that we are not configuring it correctly or not allowing it enough time to work, a post somewhere would be most useful. If however it is not compatible with the expectations of iSiloX for a website, perhaps it is possible that iSiloX could be updated to work with wol.jw.org

This is doable since at least one iPhone app, Equipd, is available that does nothing except download material off www.wol.jw.org for later offline use.
    [...]

While you have not in the past charged for iSiloX if the changes needed to work with wol.jw.org are going to consume a lot of your time, you might consider offering a wol.jw.org compatible version as a paid for product. You could fund development by taking pre-orders and make it clear that if enough pre-orders are not received you will not be able to undertake the project.

Thus you would have two versions of iSiloX available, the standard one, still free, and a paid one that would work with wol.jw.org

Thank you.
    Me too.

Mike Ward
    Rochester, NY
    3-time buyer of iSilo (different platforms)

Default I would buy

Have used iSilo for Palm and now have Apple and Android devices that I use daily.

Chance Fry

Default iSiloX and wol.jw.org PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by patrickwest View Post
    Folks,

Are you are aware many Jehovah's Witnesses have purchased iSilo over the years on a number of platforms in order to use the iSilo formatted WtPubs files.

Equipd is however only useful on the iOS platform. One of the best things about iSilo has always been the number of devices you support.

Thank you.
    We would like to see a version to work with wol.jw.org. I have been a faithful user of Isilo for many years starting with the Palm, Palm III and Palm Treo and now Android.

Ernest

Quote Originally Posted by twotilt View Post
    We would like to see a version to work with wol.jw.org. I have been a faithful user of Isilo for many years starting with the Palm, Palm III and Palm Treo and now Android.

Ernest
    I feel the same as the first poster and have been a iSilo owner and purchaser for almost a decade - from windows mobile, desktop to android and helping others with apple devices. THis would be fantastic!!

Default I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by twotilt View Post

Ernest
    I went from a BlackBerry to a Droid and have always used iSilo. I'd love to see a version that was compatible with wol.jw.org. Please make this happen!

Thumbs up This function would be most useful

I would love to be able to convert wol.jw.org to .pdb format. My wife and I have enjoyed using .pdb format regularly over the years. I have repurchased the program for each of us when we switched from Palm to Android. I am perfectly happy to continue to support iSilo and iSiloX to further help it to continue to evolve.

I find the .pdb MUCH faster for following links during my research and following along at meetings.

Default iSilo for www.wol.jw.org

It would be great to be able to used the www.wol.jw.org with iSiloX for Windows

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast